|Abbreviation||FT / PT|
|PGDE||FT / PT|
The Postgraduate Diploma in Education [PGDE] programme prepare university graduates to teach mainly in schools within Hong Kong. It offers both full-time and part-time mode of study. The full-time programme extends over one academic year and provides initial professional teacher training for students without previous teaching experience. The part-time programme extends over two academic years and provides in-service teachers with professional training and a basis for continuing professional development. The programme is organised around four major components: Pedagogical Content Knowledge, Integrated Inquiry, Experiential Learning, and Elective.
Mode of Attendance
Full Time (minimum one year, maximum two years. Classes may also be held on weekday evenings and/or Saturday)
Part Time (minimum two years, maximum four years, with classes on weekday evenings and/or Saturday)
Medium of Instruction
Programme Entrance Requirements
- shall comply with the General Regulations and the Regulations for Taught Postgraduate Curricula;
- shall hold a Bachelor's degree of this University or a qualification of equivalent standard from this University or another comparable institution accepted for this purpose;
- shall normally be expected to have completed a substantial portion of his/her undergraduate studies in the major subject for which he/she wishes to apply;
- shall normally be a serving teacher in Hong Kong schools with a minimum of one year of relevant teaching experience (for part-time applicants only);
- shall satisfy the examiners in a qualifying examination, if required; and
- for a candidate who is seeking admission on the basis of a qualification from a university or comparable institution outside Hong Kong of which the language of teaching and/or examination is not English, shall satisfy the University English language requirement applicable to high degrees as prescribed under General Regulation G2(b).
a) a score of 550 or above (paper-based test) or 80 or above (internet-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) #; or
b) a minimum overall band of 6 with no subtest lower than 5.5 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) #; or
c) grade C or above in either the Overseas General Certificate of Education, the International General Certificate of Secondary Education, or the Cambridge Test of Proficiency in English Language.
# For admission, only TOEFL/IELTS score recorded in the two years before the date of application is considered.
Programme Admissions Advisor
Dr Arthur Lee