|Abbreviation||FT / PT|
Master of Dental Surgery in Endodontics [MDS(Endo)] is a taught programme designed specifically for dentists who intend to pursue specialist endodontic training. The programme enables students to acquire knowledge of the relevant clinical literature, develop a scientific approach to problem solving, learn to assess scientific papers and develop advanced clinical-endodontic skills. A research project and dissertation will be required. The programme will provide a foundation for successful clinical practice or a stepping stone towards an academic career. Teaching is undertaken by full- and part-time teachers of high calibre. Clinical training is done in the Prince Philip Dental Hospital, in a setting fully equipped with surgical operating microscopes and the latest armamentariums for instrumentation, obturation and periradicular surgery. A good working knowledge of periodontology, occlusion, implantology and prosthodontics to enable sound treatment planning will be emphasized. The curriculum lasts a minimum of 36 months, full-time, and may include courses in other related disciplines.
At the end of the course, a graduate will be able:
- to assess a patient's general and oral health, and formulate a comprehensive treatment plan, which might include components from other dental disciplines;
- to undertake the clinical procedures of Endodontics to a more advanced level than that expected of the undergraduate programme, and to have a knowledge and understanding of the relevant dental materials used;
- to treat patients requiring emergency and remedial dental care related to failed endodontic procedures;
- to be able to integrate theoretical and practical knowledge of the management of patients;
- to critically assess the scientific literature and manufacturers' advertising claims;
- to perform certain elements of Restorative Dentistry;
- to be proficient in providing clinical treatment under the surgical operating microscope or other magnifying aids; and
- to competently perform surgical periradicular procedures when appropriate.
Mode of Attendance
Full Time (three years)
Medium of Instruction
Programme Entrance Requirements
- A BDS degree of this University or an equivalent qualification.
- A minimum of one year of working experience.
- Primary Fellowship preferred but not essential.
Programme Admissions Advisor
|Professor GSP Cheung|
|Miss Hazel Leung|
List of Programmes