- All non-local students who wish to take course(s) for studying in Hong Kong, regardless of the length of study, are required by law to obtain a student visa/entry permit issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department (ImmD).
- Applicants of such a student visa to Hong Kong for study purpose are required to nominate a local sponsor. Students who wish to take up short-term study courses offered by HKU, should request the Admissions and Academic Liaison Section (AAL) to be their visa sponsor.
- Applicants are strongly advised to submit the online visa application as soon as he/she receives a Notice of Admission from HKU, since the processing time for application of a student visa requires approximately 10-12 weeks.
- Upon successful application, a visa/entry permit will be granted by ImmD, which will be collected by AAL for onward transmission to the applicant.
- One entry permit is applicable for one programme only, and the cumulative duration of such short-term study should not exceed 180 days within any 12-month period according to the Immigration guidelines.
Steps for getting a visa/entry permit to study at HKU
*For overseas students, you should receive a confirmation email from AAL before you post the full set of application hard copies to Hong Kong.
Online system links and user guides
- To submit the online visa application, applicants should register a new account and must fulfil the application requirements as set out. An applicant is able to check his/her application progress in the online application system.
- You may download the user guide for instructions of proceeding the online application:
The processing time of a student visa application will require 10-12 weeks. The applicant is strongly advised to submit the application as soon as he/she has received the Notice of Admission from HKU.
Duration of Stay
The duration of stay in Hong Kong should strictly adhere to the period granted by ImmD as printed on the visa/entry permit label. You are suggested to arrive Hong Kong not earlier than the day required by your programme organiser. Please contact your programme organiser if you have any concern on your arrival and departure date.
The application of a student visa including the sponsorship of HKU requires a non-refundable application fee of HKD 900. An applicant can only settle the fee by using the online credit card payment platform (Visa, MasterCard or China UnionPay).
List of Document Required
*If you are a student from the Mainland China and will enter Hong Kong directly from the Mainland for taking up short-term course(s) in HKU, please go to the China Affairs Office website for further details.
New Visa Application
- Print page 1 – 4 on one side A4 white paper. Ensure the barcode is clearly shown at the bottom of each page.
- Complete and submit all column on page 1 – 4 only (except part 3 on Page 2).
- Sign on every page as required on the bottom right corner.
- Affix one recent original photo according to the instruction shown on page 2. Printed photo is not acceptable.
- AAL will not process and sponsor dependent visa application. Applicant may arrange visa(s) for his/her accompanying dependant(s) separately. For details, please refer to the Application for Residence as Dependants and Guidebook on ImmD website(Click Here)
- Student Visa Sponsorship Form – For Application for Entry for Study in Hong Kong (Download Here) ;
- Letter of Guardian Nomination(If the applicant is under the age of 18) (Download Here) ;
- A photocopy of the Notice of Admission and your acceptance to the offer;
- A photocopy of Passport containing your personal particulars
- A photocopy of financial proof;
- ImmD is strict about the financial documents. Applicant must show to have an ability to afford the costs of education and living expenses in Hong Kong. To establish the evidence of financial resources, applicant or the financial sponsor should submit one of, or a combination of the following:
(1) Proof of liquid assets;
- Up-to-date bank records (bank statements or passbook or bankbook), and/or a personal certificate of saving/fixed deposit of your own/financial sponsor with a bank stamp.
- Please note the wealth management products are not acceptable.
- ImmD will not accept any on-line/website printed version of banking statement as the financial proof.
(2) Tax receipts and salary slips, employment letters;
(3) Award letter of financial aid or scholarship.
- Additional documents which required applicants from below countries to submit for application as below:
For Taiwan residents
- A photocopy of Household Registration in Taiwan 戶籍謄本
- A photocopy of Taiwan Identity Card
- A self-explanatory statements, with reasons and need to attend HKU programme and the immediate plan after study
For Macao residents
- A photocopy of Macao Identity Card
- A photocopy of Visit Permit for Residents of Macao SAR to Hong Kong SAR 澳門特別行政區居民往來香港特別行政區旅遊證
For nationals of Afghanistan, Cambodia, Cuba, Laos, Korea (Democratic Peoples’ Republic of ), Nepal, Poland, Russia and Vietnam
- A photocopy of your study proof (school report, student identity card or transcripts)
- A self explanatory statements, with reasons and need to attend HKU programme and the immediate plan after study
External Links and Information
- Guidebook for Entry for Study in Hong Kong issued by ImmD
- FAQs on Immigration Policy on Study on ImmD website
- Visa Matters at CAO website
- AAL will not be responsible for any kind of loss even if the application is rejected or delayed due to applicant’s failure in fulfilling the application requirements.
- All content in the website may be updated at any time without prior notice.
For enquiries, please contact us by email email@example.com.
Last update: November, 2016