Course Code: HIST2093
Faculty of: Arts
Target Students: HKU Undergraduates, Non HKU Undergraduates
Area of Interest: Business & Management, Globalisation & Regional Studies
Course Period: June 26, 2017 to July 14, 2017
Course Schedule: Monday to Friday (10:00-13:00)
Programme Fee: HKD $11,000
Discount: 10% off for students from HKU exchange partners. Fee exemption applies for eligible HKU students.
Accommodation Fee: (HKD 2,250 for 6 nights) Optional and available to enrolled students
Deadline for Application: March 31, 2017
Online Application: APPLY NOW
Programme Fee includes:
• Programme Series
• HKU Facilities Access
This course explores the history of international business in the twentieth century. It aims to equip students with a comprehensive understanding of the causative factors that drove international business in the period; to offer a firm basis for more advanced work in history and international business; and to provide the factual grounding and conceptual apparatus necessary to understand the contemporary world. It will also consider the important question of the relations between the private and public sectors, and how and why this balance has changed over time.
The class will examine the development of many aspects of present-day business activity, such as the emergence and global expansion of consulting, management, accountancy, corporate law, and branding. Students will examine related developments such as the emergence of business schools, their teaching and research foci, and their diffusion across the world. The course covers many geographical areas, and will contain sections which focus on East Asia, particularly case studies in Hong Kong.
Accommodation – Optional and available to enrolled students (Click here for more details)
Check-in: June 24, 2017
Check-out: July 15, 2017
Residential Package Price: HKD $7,875 (21 nights)
Note to HKU students:
• Deadline for Application (HKU Students): April 30, 2017
• HKU Students applying for the summer semester courses offered by the Faculty of Arts should be aware that individual courses will not open if there is insufficient enrolment. Confirmation of whether all summer courses will be opened or not will be given in April 2017. HKU students should take this into consideration when drawing up their second semester 2016-2017 study plan.
• HKU students should first apply for the Arts summer courses via the Online Application System by April 30, 2017.
• HKU students whose application for a summer course offered by the Faculty of Arts is successful, will be invited to register for the course in SIS during the summer add/drop period (June 12 to 19, 2017).
• For information about HKU exchange partners, please click here.
• The Faculty of Arts reserves the right to cancel a course should there be insufficient enrollment or any unforeseen circumstances
• Students can access to HKU Facilities including Cafeteria, Main Library, Flora Ho Sports Centre, Learning Commons and University Health Services. Meal expense, service fee and medical cost will be responsible by students.
• Students of non-credit bearing programmes will receive a certificate upon programme completion. Students of credit-bearing programmes can apply a transcript stated with HKU credits, please contact your home institution about the issue related to HKU credits recognition.
• In any case, students are strongly recommended to make their own insurance arrangements throughout the entire period of your programme. Students will be responsible for their own medical and dental costs during the period of the programme. Please refer to here (Point 5) for more information.