Course Code: ECIA2018
Faculty of: Arts
Managed by HKU Summer Institute
Target Students: HKU Undergraduates, Non HKU Undergraduates
Area of Interest: Asia Cities: Business, Culture and Society, Experiential Learning / Internships, Global Issues, Humanities & Creative Industries, Multi-location
Course Period: June 17, 2018 to August 18, 2018
Course Fee: HKD 42,000
Accommodation Fee: Included
Discount: 10% off for students from HKU exchange partners
Early Bird Offer: Apply before February 22, 2018: 5% Discount on programme fee; Guarantee of accommodation; Priority in social & cultural activities registration (the early bird offer is not valid in conjunction with other discounts)
Deadline for Application: March 16, 2018
Online Application: APPLY NOW
The programme fee includes the following:
• Guaranteed Internship Placement in Asia
• Accommodation in Hong Kong and Internship City
• Airfare between Hong Kong to Internship City (round-trip)
• Transport from HKU to Hong Kong International Airport (one-way)
• Networking events, social activities and orientation
• Certificate of completion (non-credit bearing programme)
• Welcome kit
• HKU Facilities Access
About Experiencing Creative Industries in Asia (ECIA) programme
Experiencing Creative Industries in Asia (ECIA) programme consists of a 1-week seminar series at the University of Hong Kong, followed by a 8-week internship programme in Asia. The seminar series is to deliver an overview of the corporate world and personnel systems in Hong Kong & China; while the programme will provide a cultural experience and enable students to develop their personal and professional network in Asia. We guarantee an internship for all admitted participants. However, while we cannot guarantee very specific requests, we will do our best to match relevant experiences for participants in our ECIA Internship Programme.
ECIA is unique in three ways:
- Earn career experience through internship placement in any of the partner companies in Hong Kong, Beijing & Shanghai
- Get a taste of what it is like working in a field outside of one’s major
- Experience the unique working culture of Asia
The workshop-based lectures serve to prepare students with general understanding of Chinese political, economic and social development for their eight-week internship in China. Various development strategies and latest challenges will also be covered to equip students’ capacity in contextual understanding about the country. Additional orientation and training on work ethics and skills will be conducted to help students to take up diverse and comprehensive tasks for their internship.
5 Lectures (10:00 – 13:00 ) & (14:30-17:30) in the first week of the programme.
Below is an anticipated timeline for the Experiencing Creative Industries in Asia (ECIA) Internship Programme
Check-in: June 17, 2018
Check-out: August 18, 2018
|Accommodation Check-in date||June 17, 2018|
|Seminar Series at HKU||June 18 – June 22, 2018|
|Internship Period||June 25 – August 17, 2018 (8 weeks)|
|Programme end date||August 17, 2018|
|Accommodation Check-out date||August 18, 2018|
|December 11, 2017 – March 16, 2018||Applications open: Please fill in the online application form, with the required documents by the deadline. Interested students should submit an application as early as possible. Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. For enquiries, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.|
|February 5 – March 23, 2018||Interview: Only shortlisted candidates will be notified of further interview arrangements wither in person or Skype. Students who do not receive any news within 14 working days after the application deadline will be considered as unsuccessful.|
|February 12 – March 30, 2018||Offers: Both successful and unsuccessful applicants will be notified of their application results by email from the HKU Summer Institute. If your application has been successful, you will receive an official Letter of Offer from the HKU Summer Institute. You will then have 5 days to accept this offer and pay your programme fee in full.|
|February 12 – March 30, 2018||Student Visa: All non-local admitted students are strongly advised to submit the online visa application as soon as he/she receives a Notice of Admission from HKU Summer Institute since the processing time for application of a student visa requires approximately 10-12 weeks.|
|April 16 – 30, 2018||Placement Results: The placements are all to be determined solely by HKU Summer Institute and are not subject to student requests.|
|April 16 – May 12, 2018||China Visa (if applicable): Admitted students will receive the invitation letter issued by the company for visa application, you are recommended to apply for a visa to the designated country via its local embassy.|
Additional Application Materials
In addition to the application materials listed, students are required to submit:
- 1-page statement: Please answer the following question, keeping your statement to the word limit of 200 words.
- Why do you want to spend this summer in China? If this is your first visit to China, please explain your reasons. If you have visited before, please explain in what context and why you would like to return?
- Personal Infomation: Full Name; Mobile; SkypID & Personal Email
- Education (Current/Most Recent University, Additional major or minor (if any) & GPA, Year of Admission; Expected Year of Graduation)
- Work & Internship Experience
- Volunteer & Extracurricular Experience
- Language & Technical Skills: List all software you can use and any/all of your technical skills, such as programming, video editing, etc.
- Awards & Scholarships
- Home Return Permit:
- If you are a “Home Return Permit” (回鄉證) holder, please upload the most updated copy of “Home Return Permit” onto the application system, and state clearly in the file name
The application will be processed only when ALL supporting documents are uploaded to the online application system before the deadline.
The 1st batch applications submitted on time will be processed first and the 2nd batch applications afterwards. This means that if you submit after the 1st batch application deadline, all the applicants who have sent in their applications on time will be given admission before you. As the places in programmes are limited, this could possibly mean that you will not be accepted.
Any vacancies in a programme will be offered to “late applicants” after the second selection round. This means that any potential admission will reach the late applicant rather late.
|ANX International||Bitcoin||Hong Kong|
|BBDO||Advertising Agency / Marketing Agency / Business Solution||Beijing/Shanghai|
|Omnicom Media Group China||Advertising Agency / Marketing Agency / Business Solution||Beijing/Shanghai|
|Leo Burnett||Advertising Agency / Marketing Agency / Business Solution||Beijing/Shanghai|
|Northern Territory||Innovative Technology||Beijing|
|Cushman & Wakefield||Real Estate / Facility Services / Project Management||Shanghai|
|Siona Property Investments||Real Estate / Property Investment||Shanghai|
|MSL Group||Advertising Agency / Marketing Agency / Business Solution||Shanghai|
|Martec Group||Healthcare, Medical Devices, Life Sciences, Market Research & Building Construction||Shanghai|
|Mary Kay (China) Cosmetics Company||Cosmetic / Business Development||Shanghai|
|Stanley & Partners Investment Management Co. Ltd.||Real Estate Investment Banking Services||Shanghai|
|Savills||Real Estate/Research & Development consultancy||Shanghai|
|Shui On Land||Real Estate / Facility Services / Project Management||Shanghai|
|TBWA Shanghai||Advertising Agency / Marketing Agency / Business Solution||Shanghai|
|WSP||Building Service/Transport Planning||Shanghai|
Estimated Personal Costs
**Costs are an approximation and will differ depending on individual needs**
|Country: China / Hong Kong||Cost (USD)|
|Roundtrip Air-ticket (from home to Hong Kong)||300-2,000|
|Daily Meals and Transportation||300-500|
|Miscellaneous and Personal Expenses||500-800|
Financial Assistance for HKU Students: These are two funding available for HKU student, please visit Pilot Mainland Experience Scheme for Post-secondary Students (MES) and Short-Term Abroad Allowance or approach International Affairs Office (IAO) for details.
- For information about HKU exchange partners, please click here.
- Students can access to HKU Facilities including Cafeteria, Main Library, Flora Ho Sports Centre, Learning Commons and University Health Services. Meal expense, service fee and the medical cost will be responsible by students.
- HKU Summer Institute reserves the right to change, amend, modify, suspend, continue or terminate all or any part of the programme either in an individual case or in general, at any time without notice.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- For enquiries, please send an email to email@example.com.
• Students of non-credit bearing programmes will receive a certificate upon programme completion. Students of credit-bearing programmes can apply a transcript stated with HKU credits, please contact your home institution about the issue related to HKU credits recognition.
• In any case, students are strongly recommended to make their own insurance arrangements throughout the entire period of your programme. Students will be responsible for their own medical and dental costs during the period of the programme. Please refer to here (Point 5) for more information.