Course Code: YFGLSP 2017
Level-of-study: Secondary 4-6 students (or equivalent) in the academic year 2016-2017
Course Period: July 24, 2017 to August 4, 2017
Programme Fee: HKD 6,800
Deadline for Application:
- Non-local Applicants: March 31, 2017
- Local Applicants: May 31, 2017
Type of Programme: Non-credit-bearing course
Area of Interest: Business and Economics, Leadership Training
Managed by: HKU Summer Institute
- Students: Local; Non-local
- Study Level: Secondary 4 – 6 Students (or equivalent) in the academic year 2016-2017
This programme focuses on two main parts – Finance and Global Leadership.
Financial markets are crucial to the economy. They serve functions such as helping companies to raise money, allowing the public to invest their wealth and supporting the operation of the banking system.
This part focuses on explaining how the financial world operates to young audiences in fun and interactive ways. Our speakers include practitioners from the industry and are passionate in sharing their knowledge, real-world experience and career advice. The format of teaching will be an effective blend of theories and case studies. The participants will apply the class concepts in games, group discussions and their final projects.
Leaders help themselves and others to accomplish great tasks. Leaders are not limited to important politicians or senior executives, they exist in schools, families, circles of friends and mostly importantly, in all age groups.
This part is designed for young audiences who are interested in exploring the attributes of leadership from a global perspective. Starting with the root question of whether leaders are born or trained, our expert trainers will examine the inner qualities in people that can be nurtured into great leadership. Our approach to the programme combines theories, case studies and group games. The participants will apply the class concepts in daily indoor/outdoor activities with fun, learning objectives and opportunities to make friends.
In addition to these two main parts, this programme will also develop the soft skills of participants. Our expert trainers will discuss effective ways to handle stress, improve teamwork and polish image in presentations.
This programme emphasizes “learning through participating”. The training topics will include the following:
- The operation of the financial world
- The correct values in wealth management
- How business is conducted in the real world as compared to textbooks
- Case studies on finance management
- How university majors in finance/business are related to future career choices
- Stress management; EQ vs IQ
- Effective communications, teamwork and presentation techniques
- Case studies on different leadership styles
- Techniques of motivation
- Leadership in teamwork and ethics for leaders
- Negotiation styles and techniques
The participants will be assessed on their attendance, learning attitudes and performance in the final group project.
For accommodation arrangement, please visit http://www.aal.hku.hk/summerinstitute/for-high-school-studentscourses-hs/hs-accommodation/.