You should make sure that you are covered by comprehensive health, accident, personal property and travel insurances for your entire study abroad period,  especially if you are planning to travel for personal purpose during the study period.  Please refer to the following types of insurance for your planning:


Travel Insurance

Group Travel Insurance is provided by HKU Finance Office for all HKU undergraduate students going on study abroad programmes organised/recognised by HKU.  Total number of travelling days per study abroad trip must NOT exceed 180 days.  Students can approach Finance Office to obtain proof of the insurance.  It has been confirmed with the insurance company that no extension of days beyond 180 days can be arranged for travel insurance policy. 


Please refer to this page for further details including the Insurance coverage and terms.  For enquiry, please send it to


Medical Insurance

Make sure you have met the health requirements of your host country before your departure.  Check your medical insurance coverage with the International Office of your host university.  If the coverage is inadequate, or if your host university does not offer a compulsory medical plan, it is advisable to get private medical insurance.  Most travel insurances also include a medical coverage for sickness.  However, please make sure you know what items and services are covered and the limits.  Most of the coverage is also strictly on a reimbursement basis.


Additional Insurance Plan

Group Personal Accident Insurance Programme is recommended if students want to purchase an additional insurance plan. 



Please send your enquiry to