|Abbreviation to be used in the application form||Code||Number of first-year places|
Programme Aims and Features
The Faculty of Education in collaboration with the Faculty of Social Sciences offers an inter-disciplinary five-year honours degree focusing on the study of Social Sciences and the teaching of Liberal Studies, a broad-based core subject in the new senior secondary school curriculum.
The double-degree curriculum integrates academic and professional studies in Liberal Studies education. Students take a Social Sciences major in the Faculty of Social Sciences, and Education Professional Core courses in the Faculty of Education. Professional aspects of the double degree are phased in gradually over the five years, including pedagogy, psychological and sociological courses, and teaching practice in Hog Kong secondary schools. The curriculum focuses on the teaching of Liberal Studies in mainstream Hong Kong schools.
Our graduates often join the following professions:
- Teaching liberal studies and humanities-related subjects in mainstream Hong Kong schools
- Working for NGOs and other educational bodies
- Government quality assurance and curriculum development
- Education officers for government departments, public utilities and statutory bodies
- Civil service and administration
- Human-resources development, training and communication
- Media and journalism
- Educational publication and editing services
- Research in social sciences and education
Contacts for Further Information
Faculty of Education