|Abbreviation to be used in the application form||Code||Number of first-year places|
Programme Aims and Features
This double-degree curriculum is jointly offered by the Faculty of Education and the Faculty of Arts. It allows students to obtain two degrees in five years and to meet the language requirements for English Language teachers recommended by the HKSAR Government’s Standing Committee on Language Education and Research.
The curriculum integrates academic and professional studies in language education. Students pursue a programme of study in English Language and Linguistics in the Faculty of Arts, along with Education Professional Core courses in the Faculty of Education. Professional aspects of the double degree are phased in gradually over the five years, including pedagogy, psychological and sociological courses, and teaching practice in Hong Kong primary and secondary schools.
Most of our graduates work in the following professions:
- Teaching English Language in mainstream Hong Kong schools or English as an Additional Language in international schools.
- Government quality assurance or curriculum development.
- Civil service and administration.
- Publishing and textbook writing.
- Human-resource development and communications.
- Media and journalism, arts and culture, law, management.